Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Can't Be Good For Our Morale...

This week, we celebrate the fourth anniversary of the war in Iraq: 24,000+ U.S. soldiers wounded and 30,000-100,000 Iraqis killed. Who would have ever imagined that our sense of obligation to a country, would have lasted this long? I spent a fair amount of time today navigating through the news today, trying to find an article or story glorified the soldiers overseas. All I came upon was Bush bashing entries. I am appalled by some of the things I heard.

Here are a couple lines just to name a few.

“"Iraq is George Bush's Vietnam.”
"By going to war in Iraq, President Bush squandered the immense good will of the world community that we had won in the wake of 9/11,"
"Now, one year later, combat deaths are more than five times that of a year ago when our president celebrated 'mission accomplished',"
"Young lives cut short in a pointless conflict and all the president can say is that it 'has been a tough couple of weeks.”

I am trying so hard to understand why it is that the media would rather report on what everyone already knows, than a story that could potentially touch people’s heart instead. The four anniversary should have been a day of commemoration or a day to somber those that have sacrificed for our country. Instead it was spent restating thoughts about our president that we already knew.

I am in fury with how the media handles the news coverage. It is one thing to not support our president, but it is another thing to completely ridicule a man who leads our country. There is something wrong our country when we can go on public television and feel okay about laughing in the face of our leader.

Here for example is a clip from MSNBC entitled “Is Bush an Idiot?”

Watch it and than ask yourselves, can this really be good for our country?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkQcnDCjyuQ

No comments: